Getting help with debt
Need help with debt? You don’t need to struggle alone with money worries. There are plenty of avenues to explore when searching for help with your debts.
We recommend talking things through with an experienced advisor before making a decision about what to do. There are many ways to clear your debts and some are more well known than others. A debt adviser can help you make the right decision based on your circumstances, so you can make the most of your money.
Need help with your debt? You’re not alone.
Activities which may mean people are spiralling into a lot of debt include:
- Maxed out cards
- No one else will lend to them
- It takes much longer to pay back what they owe
If you need more support or don’t know where to start, you’re not alone. Almost 1 in 3 people are concerned about their level of debt and a lot of people don’t know how to pay it off.
Money Advice Service found that more than 8 in 10 people who have got debt advice have told them that they feel less stressed or anxious and more in control of their life again.
What will a debt adviser do?
- Treat everything you say in confidence
- Give advice about better ways of managing your money
- Never judge you or make you feel bad about your situation
- Suggest ways of dealing with debts that you might not know about
- Always be happy to talk to you, however small or big your problem is
- Check you have applied for all your benefits and entitlements available to you
Just one conversation with an experienced advisor could set you on the right tracks with a plan that will help you manage or clear your debts. Contact an advisor in a way that’s best for you, online over the phone or face to face.
To make things easier we’ve provided the details of some online debt advice services below:
StepChange Debt Charity
Debt Advice Foundation
Citizens Advice Web Chat